Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Curious Case of L.J.: The "ToonIcon"

Larry Johnson


The "Roc Boy", Larry Johnson, is in trouble again. No assault charges against women, waving guns at girlfriends, or spitting drinks at women this time. He stayed away from females on this one. However, he did utter a certain three-letter homosexual slur that does begin with the same letter as females.

Larry Johnson was given the ban-hammer by the Kansas City Chiefs' organization after deprecating his own head coach, Todd Haley, and using the homosexual slur on his Twitter account (ToonIcon) and in front of reporters. Word on the street is that he may even be cut by the Chiefs.

However, Larry Johnson has given an apology. Sorry, let me rephrase. An apology has been released through Johnson's representatives:
“First of all, I want to apologize to the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs and the rest of the NFL, Commissioner Goodell, the Chiefs organization, Coach Todd Haley, his staff, and my teammates for the words I used yesterday. I regret my actions. The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate.

“I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said. I also want to apologize to all the kids who view athletes as role models. I was not a good role model yesterday and hopefully I can become a better role model. We all make mistakes, and the challenge is to learn from them.

“I will do my best to learn from this one as I move toward becoming a better person, teammate, and member of the Kansas City Chiefs team and community.”

I would credit Johnson as the writer of the apology (as NFL.com does), but I find that difficult when Larry Johnson wrote this before the apology via Twitter:
"Make me regret it. Lmao. U don't stop my checks. Lmao. So 'tweet' away."

That's ToonIcon everyone. He certainly is no ChildIcon or TeenIcon or icon for anyone. Larry Johnson lives in his own cartoon world where he can do whatever he wants and nothing else matters because he has his money. He's not truly sorry for his actions, but sorry that he's losing money as a result of his actions. However, we need a much better depiction of Larry Johnson rather than that clear Pharrell Williams knock-off. Here's a more appropriate and accurate representation of ToonIcon:


Yes, Daphne Blake. Amazing comparison, right? Well, let's go through. Both are very wealthy and are vain in their own respects. Both are huge detriments to their respective teams: Daphne always messes up the traps the Mystery Gang sets up to catch the monster, L.J. is always disruptive or participating in extracurricular activities that harms the team. They both have a knack for getting themselves into trouble or danger: Daphne always finds a way to get caught by the monsters, L.J. finds way to get caught by the police or the NFL.


In fact, there's an appropriate nickname for L.J.: Daphne. It's much better and more appropriate than calling your own head coach a homosexual slur because he never played football and went to college on a golf scholarship. However, this damsel-in-distress is ready to get the axe and I hope the Chiefs organization gives him the Keyshawn Johnson treatment. He had two great seasons behind arguably one of the best offensive lines in the NFL with Willie Roaf and Will Shields and has been disposable in remaining seasons.


It's so funny that a guy who has no interest in staying in Kansas City is continually counting how close he is to breaking Priest Holmes' franchise rushing yard record. He's only 75 yards away. And what could be a better message than to slam the door on him for the season and cut him short? Keep Daphne far out of your history books and show him the door. What's there to lose? After all, the Chiefs gave away two future Hall of Famers in Tony Gonzalez and Jared Allen in the past two years. Why not toss away someone who is actually detrimental to your team?

No comments:

Post a Comment